Sunday, January 24

Hello Europe!

Hey everyone; welcome to my blog!

As you all know, I am studying at Utrecht University in Utrecht, the Netherlands through July and I thought this would be a great way to keep friends and family close. I hope to take you all along with me throughout my studies and travels, and everything else in between.

I arrived safely in Utrecht this morning at 7:30am and my friend Luke was there to greet me and together we grabbed a bus to campus. Luke is another UW-Madison student and a good friend of mine who has been living in Utrecht since August, so I'm sure you'll see plenty of his goofy self in the photos I post.

Last night we got about an inch of snow, so everything looked brilliantly untouched and beautiful as I arrived this morning (although others are not welcoming this surprise). Utrecht is about a 30 minute train ride from Amsterdam, but it always helps to have a map. I am embarrassed to say that I could not locate the Netherlands on a world map until I started planning for this trip. So be troubled no longer:



Other than feeling some Jet lag, I am doing really well. It's been a laid back morning and afternoon. After making coffee (always must come first) I coerced Luke into playing half a game of Bananagrams, but it's finals week for Utrecht students so we couldn't play long. Soon we'll go grocery shopping and if everything goes right, I will be making Dutch pancakes tomorrow morning at dawn.

Classes begin February 8 and orientation February 4, so I have about a week to casually adjust and do some exploring. Tomorrow I plan on visiting some of the university buildings and walking to the downtown area, which is about an hour walk or short bus ride from Utrecht University's main facilities. There are however university buildings and apartments located downtown, so the campus seems pretty spread out. I promise to write as I make new discoveries.

Until then, all my love,

Molly

9 comments:

  1. Hi Molly! So glad you arrived safely. Keep us updated.

    Cydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bananagrams! Glad to hear you are having fun. Lance and I miss you.
    -meghan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Molls, I'm so excited! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey molly! im glad you made it safely and are enjoying yourself so far. beware of that luke kid, he could get you into some trouble. im excited to hear from you! and im really jealous; ive been to the netherlands once and it was amazing so I know you are going to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for providing the map, along with the text! You saved me the google search;) I am glad you're off to a good start!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Molly! Anxiously awaiting your next entry - I've been checking it every day! I still haven't gotten your Dad on the site yet but this weekend we will visit the site together for sure! Hope you got my 'motivational text' earlier this week! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. from the Milwaukee Journal / Sentinel:
    Feb 21, 2010. IF TODAY IS YOUR BIRTHDAY:
    Focus on partnerships and bringing out the best in everyone with whom you are connected, professionally and personally. Opportunities are present, but if you aren't willing to take action, you may not reach your full potential. Apply a little force if that's what it takes to excel. OH YEAH AND HAVE THE GREATEST YEAR EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi honey....new update coming any time soon?? We keep watching (no pressure :-) )

    LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  9. Molly! Watch out for the volcano ash!! Wow I hope you guys are not terribly impacted by all this. Just adds more to the excitement of your travels, right? :-) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete